Subject: Re: MP interrupt problems with PRIMERGY RX300
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Peter O'Kane <peter.okane@it.nuigalway.ie>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/2004 17:54:30
Interesting, ioapic_dump shows:
ioapic1: dump8
f163<vector=63,delmode=1,pending,actlo,irrpending,level,dest=0>
6000000<target=6>
That's the interrupt from the iop. Continuing (many times) from the break
on schedcpu and dumping the ioapics shows the probe of the devices on the
atapibus and the interrupt lost messages but the interrupts for the rccide0
never show as pending.

--On 15 December 2004 14:51 -0600 Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 05:08:02PM +0000, Peter O'Kane wrote:
>> I have a Fujitsu-Siemens PRIMERGY RX300 dual Xeon server (ServerWorks GC
>> LE  533 chipset) with an adaptec 2005 zcr raid card.
>>
>> 2.0 GENERIC.MPACPI or GENERIC.MPBIOS kernel boots ok with only one
>> (physical) processor enabled in the bios. With hyperthreading enabled
>> the  ACPI kernel sees and uses the two virtual processors at apid 6
>> (BSP) and  apid 7 (AP).
>> With both physical processors enabled either MP kernel fails to
>> configure  the iop device and reports lost interrupts from the rccide0
>> while probing  the atapi bus. The cd drive on the atapi bus is correctly
>> recognized.  Kernels are built with INTRDEBUG and the dmesg output
>> before the iop  failure is essentially identical except for the extra
>> cpus.
>>
>> Anyone got any suggestions for further debugging? Dmesg output from the
>> failing case follows.
>
> 	hmm.. I'm having similar problems.  My current random guess is that
> the local apic's aren't being correctly enabled, possibly because it
> doesn't seem like cpu_hatch() is being called.  (There are no "CPU X
> running" messages).  However, the boot processor gets the lapic enabled
> during initial attach, and it looks like your interrupts are being routed
> to the boot processor (apid 6), so it should work.
> 	Try booting with -d, set a breakpoint on schedcpu, the continue.
> When you drop into ddb, "call ioapic_dump", and see if anything are
> listed as pending. (especially int14, aka rccide0)
> 	That's about as far as I've gotten, although I haven't tried
> single cpu but with hyperthreading.  I'll need to see if that works for
> me.
>
> eric

Peter O'Kane                            E-mail:peter.okane@it.nuigalway.ie
Information Technology Department,      Voice: +353 91 492527
National University of Ireland, Galway. Fax: +353 91 494501