Subject: Re: unable to boot NetBSD 2.0 iso
To: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/09/2004 13:14:05
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, James Chacon wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:09:41AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>> In article <33A8FD0E-495E-11D9-B1AA-0003938BD004@tiac.net>,
>> 	jsarkes@tiac.net (Joseph Sarkes) writes:
>>> My Toshiba satelite laptop will not boot the
>>> new NetBSD 2.0 iso. It hangs after probing the
>>> cardbus device if memory serves, but I don't know
>>> what it is actually trying to do when it wedges.
>>
>> The natural thing to try would be the "bootlap" images, made from
>> the "INSTALL_LAPTOP" kernel. There's a hook in the iso-image target
>> to easily make an image with a bootlap-big kernel, if you were making
>> images...
>
> Hmmm...let me look at making an x86 laptop cdrom iso as well.

I was going to wait to see if that actually fixed the problem for the
OP before pressing for it, but yes, that would be good.

It looks like all you have to do to get the alternate image into the
boot section, is to set ${CDROM_BOOT_IMAGE} to "bootlap-big.fs" before
making "iso-image". There's some precedent for simply dropping that
into the release now, and adding it to the build framework later (so
maybe there should be, what, an "iso_images" target)?

Frederick