Subject: simple ide dmesg question 1.6.2
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: J Chapman Flack <flack@cs.purdue.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/2004 09:37:23
Hi,

I'm not sure if I well enough understand ATA topology and the 1.6.2
attach code to be sure from this dmesg what my topology is.

This is a Dell Latitude CPi laptop and I have been assuming that the
burner (in the modular bay) is the second/slave drive off the HDD cable.
But I notice the dmesg, if I look closely, says wd0 is "channel 0 drive 0"
and atapibus has attached to "channel 1" - and wd0 and cd0 are at
pciide0 0:0 and 1:0, respectively.  Does that mean they are *not*
sharing a cable?  Would it be 0:0 and 0:1 if they were?  I am not sure.
cdrecord has been working very well with -immed but maybe it's not
necessary that I use that option?  I could just try it without and see
what happens, but in any case I would like to be sure I understand the
dmesg.

Thanks,
-Chap