Subject: Re: PCI sound card recommendations?
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: TAMURA Kent <kent@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/11/2004 02:14:04
> > > auvia0: ac97: C-Media unknown (0x434d4983) codec; no 3D stereo
> > > auvia0: ac97: ext id bc2<AC97_23,AMAP,LDAC,SDAC,CDAC,DRA>
> > > audio0 at auvia0: full duplex, independent
> >
> > And mixerctl says what?  I have an auvia device with an unknow codec, I can
> > change volume just fine.
>
> mixerctl says everything I'd expect it to say - but the only setting that
> works is master volume. xmix and mixerctl will let me change them all just
> fine, it just makes absolutely no difference. Also, just like on every auvia
> chipset I've ever tried, there are no bass/treble settings. The same is true
> for the below sblive.

0x434d4983 is CMI9761.  If it was similar spec as CMI9738 codec,
it would have no hardware for DAC volume, that is to say,
inputs.dac mixer item would have no effect.  Unfortunately, the
sufficient datasheet for CMI9761 is not public.

The bass/treble mixer items appear if the AC'97 codec supports
them.  I have never seen such codecs.

If you need not 4ch/6ch playback, I recommend CMI8738-based
cards.  But I don't like PCI sound cards at all because of
noise.

--
TAMURA Kent <kent2004? at hauN.org> <kent at NetBSD.org>