Subject: Re: PCI sound card recommendations?
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/10/2004 19:02:42
Hello,

> I don't need anything more than good stereo playback. Which is why I really
> miss my SB64, but I can't pull it out of my old machine and put it in here,
> because, of course, this machine has no ISA slots. I was hoping for
> something at least as good as an ISA SB64 that I could slap in a spare PCI
> slot. And I don't like PCI sound cards any more than you do... there were
> some things that ISA slots really did well at, IMHO: sound cards and modems
> (for those of us who don't require $40000 SB Audigy 2 platinum uranium pro
> performance plus blah blah sound cards ;-)

I'd go for an Ensoniq 137x ( also sold as SoundBlaster PCI 64 or 128 - probably 16 too ) - dirt cheap these days, pretty well supported as far as I know. My Yamaha YMF724 ( or DS-1 ) works just fine too, although NetBSD can't use the XG synth (which is probably half software anyway)

have fun
Michael