Subject: Installboot and the "invalid MBR"
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/31/2004 16:18:11
I'm reloading a machine, and I've newfs'd a disk, copied everything over,
and run installboot.  Installboot says it is ignoring the MBR on /dev/wd0a,
which has "invalid magic".  And whatever that means, the NetBSD partition
isn't bootable; I can point a boot loader at it (Partition Commander, if
it matters, which can still boot fine to the old disk), and it just does
nothing at all.  Not even the normal boot loader messages.

Is there any likely connection between the apparently bad MBR for this
partition, and the boot loader not really working?  If so, what am I
to do to fix this?  fdisk -c updates the whole disk's boot code, not
this partition, and I was pretty sure that the entire point of installboot
was to make the partition bootable.

The command line:
	installboot -v /dev/wd0a bootxx_ffsv1

-s