Subject: Re: Booting a USB key - 'Error B'
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Dion van der Grijp <dvdgrijp@mbox3.singnet.com.sg>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/18/2004 06:12:37
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 07:23:06PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
>  	I had a quick pass at putting a kernel on a USB key,
>  	    mount /dev/sd0e /mnt
>  	    cp /boot /netbsd /mnt
>  	    umount /mnt
>  	    installboot -v /dev/sd0e /usr/mdec/bootxx_msdos
>  	    fdisk -i sd0
>
>  	I can quite believe something is missing, but the result
>  	gives me an 'Error B', which is an errcod which doesn't
>  	appear to be listed anywhere in arch/i386/stand/mbr/mbr.c
>
>  	Does anyone have any idea?
>
> --
>  			   David Brownlee -- abs@absd.org

Not answering the "Error B" part - I believe someone else already
addressed that. :-)

What I'd like to know is are there any USB keys that are known to work
properly with NetBSD as umass devices - specifically for installing a
NetBSD kernel and booting it?  I recall someone mentioning something
about problems with the Sony Micro Vault - but I forget the actual
nature of that problem.  Are there any "preferred" makes of USB key, or
alternatively, any one should stay away from?

Thanks in advance.

Dion van der Grijp