Subject: Re: Booting a USB key - 'Error B'
To: David Brownlee <abs@absd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/15/2004 20:10:39
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 07:23:06PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	I had a quick pass at putting a kernel on a USB key,
> 	    mount /dev/sd0e /mnt
> 	    cp /boot /netbsd /mnt
> 	    umount /mnt
> 	    installboot -v /dev/sd0e /usr/mdec/bootxx_msdos
> 	    fdisk -i sd0
>
> 	I can quite believe something is missing, but the result
> 	gives me an 'Error B', which is an errcod which doesn't
> 	appear to be listed anywhere in arch/i386/stand/mbr/mbr.c

I presume you meant mbr.S ...

> 	Does anyone have any idea?

That error is from bootxx/pbr.S

Questions:
1) Does the 'USB key' look like a hard disk, or a floppy?
   (more particularly does it have an MBR that describes 4 partitions)
2) Does the FAT filesystem have 8k of space for the boot code?
   (FAT filesystems can have space at the required place).

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk