Subject: Re: My experience with the _RCs so far
To: List Mail User <track@Plectere.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/10/2004 12:38:36
List Mail User wrote:
> 	Both the "umass" and the "ustir" are USB devices, which both
> misperform because a call to the function "usbd_alloc_buffer()" fails; UTSL.
> The "ustir" is CERTAINLY the exact same failure mode as the "umass" driver.
>
> 	Paul Shupak
>
> P.S. And the Cardbus devices also fail with calls to allocate contiguous
> physical memory (for DMA);  The problem is to be by no means confined just
> the "umass" driver, but all affects devices requiring contiguous physical
> memory buffers that span multiple pages.

Indeed. This problem is on must-fix problem list for NetBSD 3.0.
If the fix would not involve huge structural changes, I imagine
it might appear even in some 2.x patch release. However, it would
not hold the 2.0 release.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-