Subject: Re: My experience with the _RCs so far
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/10/2004 04:01:34
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Rui Paulo wrote:

> > I also consider the umass buffer problem quite serious.  Several people
> > have asked for a solution on the mailing lists - even though 2.0 hasn't
> > been released yet.

> I don't agree that the problem is *serious*, but it's an issue that
> needs to be solved ASAP without delaying 2.0 release (something serious
> would crash the system or make it unusable).

> > IMHO, it would be better to postpone the 2.0 release and fix these (and
> > other) serious problems than to disappoint users with bugs that affect
> > regular users in common operations.

> Finding the roots of the umass problem will be hard (it's memory
> fragmentation), so if we're going to delay 2.0 because of that when
> will it be available ? Next year ? Is it worth ? :-(

  But this is a big update.  Having something as fundamental as USB not
working in a very common situation in something that is supposed to be a
major release looks very bad, IMHO.  How could "working USB" not be an
important goal for such a major version bump?

  And NetBSD isn't exactly something you normally install for an exciting
ride either.  Boring but stable is what you'd expect.

Magnus