Subject: Network Problem
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Richard Ibbotson <richard@sheflug.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/19/2004 16:19:46
Hi

I've gotten used to NetBSD 1.6.2 over the past few months.  Looking
forward to the 2.0 release when the IPF bugs are sorted out :)

Just installed 1.6.2 into a laptop and found that the PCMCIA card was
found and started to work right away.  The output of ifconfig -a shows
that the card is working and configured as 192.168.1.12 with netmask
255.255.255.0.  I can ping all other machines on the internal network.
The gateway is seen by the laptop as 192.168.1.1.  When I ping an
external address the net connection goes up and an external address is
found.

However, when I do something like ...

'cd /usr/pkgsrc/mail/postfix' and 'make'

a pile of error messages fall down the screen which say..

"ftp: No address associated with hostname
ftp:  Can't connect or login to host 'ftp.fi.NetBSD.org'  "

it keeps on going at this for a long string of hosts and then gives up.
<shrug> .  I also notice that the net connection doesn't go up when I
try and install a package.

Tried various things but can't work why it is that packets are not
transmitted across the internal net to the gateway box when I try to
install a package.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong here ?  I should be able to work
it out but after a couple of hours of trying nothing is working.

Thanks

Richard