Subject: Re: can't open display despite xhost+
To: Paul (NCC/CS). <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/13/2004 16:24:18
On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 04:15:08PM +1000, Paul (NCC/CS). wrote:
|apologies for having to ask this for the nth time in the
|last 5 years, but each time I set up a new box I've forgotten!:(
|
|In X windows:
|I have run the command xhost+    but still other hosts give:
|Error: Can't open display:
|When I try to run an X app from the remote host.
|
|I think in the past I have turned off some authentication
|as I am on a private / secure network.

how do you get to the remote host in order to get a shell on it?

if you use ssh you can do

  ssh -oForwardX11=yes remote.host.dom.ain

which will make an X tunnel back along your ssh connection to your
local host, with the 'display' at the remote end being something like
localhost:10.0 or similar[1].

plus is that this works on secure or insecure networks and is
probably a good habit to get into - you don't need to change your
authentication model if you don't want to, either

you can also chain this too - for instance I have a Windows machine as
my workstation (don't ask), but I have an SSH client which knows how to
tunnel X back to my workstation, where I run a Windows X server which
only allows connections from the local machine - my end of the SSH tunnel
is considered to be the local machine, even if the traffic originates
elsewhere.

I ssh in to a remote host and can then put X windows on my local Windows
machine. What's more, if I use a command similar to the above, I can
also get applications which are more than one ssh connection away to
display on my local machine ...

Hope that helps,
Malcolm

[1] yes, there is a -x or -X option to do this, however for some
reason the default behaviour of this option changed for OpenSSH at
some point (it used to be -x to forward X11, now -X ... or vise
versa, can't recall), so the long option is less ambiguous.

--
Malcolm Herbert                                    System Administrator
ph [990] 54881 rm 28-241                          School of GeoSciences