Subject: Re: Serial console causing crash
To: Martijn van Buul <martijn.van.buul@gmail.com>
From: None <thrashbarg@kaput.homeunix.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/06/2004 16:26:51
On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 07:09:47AM +0200, Martijn van Buul wrote:
> I don't have my NetBSD box at hand, but probably the easiest way to
> get rid of this is removing the kernel debugger - unless you're a
> kernel hacker, its use is limited anyway. Removing it from the kernel
> config will probably do. There might be a sysctl variable which does
> the same trick, but like I said, I have nothing at hand to check.

I've done that now, recompiled a kernel without the debugger. All is
good. As Thor Lancelot Simon pointed out, the sysctl variable is
hw.cnmagic. I mucked around with different values but decided to
remove the debugger because I don't use it.

> I've had similiar issues with a PDP-11 at some point. Unfortunately,
> disabling the debugger was a *little* bit more complex there
> (including hardware modifications to the PDP-11), so I never got
> around doing that..

Sigh. I missed that era :(. I'm a retro-hardware freak. I'm using a
Compaq Portable II as the terminal now because I like the green screen
;).