Subject: Re: MP kernel + RAIDframe vs. crash dumps
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@redcrowgroup.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/21/2004 07:20:05
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:57:14PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 12:53:18PM -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > The only other unusual thing about this machine is that the boot
> > disk is a RAID1, using RAIDframe.   When I tested on the same machine,
>
> You can't dump to a raid partition, because raidframe requires process
> scheduling. Dumping to one partition of a real drive should work, though.
> What I usually do is setup a partition on one of the hard drive which has
> the raid1, matching the swap partition on the raid1 (you have to do some
> maths do find the exact place on the physical disk) and set the dump partition
> to this.

Yes, I'm aware of that... I was actually dumping to the physical disk.
At the time of the writing above, I did not know about 'reboot 0x104',
though, so now at least _sometimes_ I can get a successful dump...

Thanks for the reply.
+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://www.redcrowgroup.com/