Subject: Re: Size of /var on v2.0
To: Video Mike <mike@cpdist.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/2004 22:30:22
--/Uq4LBwYP4y1W6pO

hi,

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:06:55PM -0500, Video Mike wrote:
>=20
> When building OpenOffice from package sources on NetBSD v2.0G, I get
> an error message complaining that /var is full.  When I installed
> NetBSD v2.0G, I specified 64MB for /var.  What size should I have made
> it?  Any help is appreciated.

it depends on what you want to do with the system.  /var stores by
default the mail spool, system logs, package database, /var/tmp writable
by anyone and other temporary/db data.  it's also a place where savecore
would write a crash dump of your kernel (whole memory).

safe value would be around twice the amount of your ram, more if you
expect to store big mail spool.  64mb is insufficient for almost any
use (sans embedded systems).

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --