Subject: Re: Ext2fs supported?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/2004 09:39:02
On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 09:50:25AM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:00:39 -0400 (EDT)
> Yasir Malik <ymalik@cs.stevens-tech.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I carved out a Ext2 partition on Windows using PartionMagic.  Now I would
> > like to mount the partition on NetBSD.  I don't know what to put in the
> > ``cpg/sgs'' field, and I don't see anything in disklabel man page for
> > ``cpg/sgs.''  Well, I filled out everything else, and I put EXT2FS for the
> > ``fstype'' field.  After exiting the editor, I got a message saying
> > "disklabel: line 31: warning, unknown file system type: EXT2FS"
> >
> > But I have booted GENERIC_LAPTOP for the Apr 9 snapshot for NetBSD 2.0 and
> > it supports the Ext2fs.
> >
> > Why I am getting this message?  Will I be able to mount this partition?
> > Also, does exiting the editor automatically write the label on the hard drive?
>
> Check mbrlabel(8).

You shouldn't need to - the kernel will have generated a disklabel from the
mbr partition already (assuming the volume doesn't have a NetBSD partition).

The 'fstype' value is also only (largely) a comment - you should be able
to mount the partition regardless of the fstype value.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk