Subject: System Question
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Glenn Jarvis <gaj@personainternet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/09/2004 00:19:41
Hi all,
Please be gentle as I'm new to this. I've used DOS since v2.x and it
took a team of horses just to pull me into Windows. So, when I decided
to venture into something better, namely Unix, I thought it shouldn't be
too difficult. Might take some getting used to, but I think I can
swallow the change. However, I do have a bit of a problem. I'm tried to
install NetBSD on an older system,but encountered a problem. Here's the
layout of the box...

486DX4-100
28MB Ram
S3 805 VLB video
SoundBlaster Vibra 16bit (with IDE interface)
NE2000 compatible 16bit ethernet
1.44MB
1.2 MB
1.2GB Hard Disk (C- Drive)
1.0GB Hard Disk (D-Drive)
Creative CD5220 CDROM
Floppy/HD Controller - Who knows.. 16bit noname

Now the problem was it couldn't identify the CDROM on the SB IDE
interface. So , I disconnected D-Drive and placed the CDROM there. I
followed through the instructions, got NetBSD installed (although the
prompt and interface left me standing here staring at it). However, I
need to hook up D-Drive again and put the CDROM back on the soundcard
IDE interface. What worries me, is I know NetBSD is going to notice the
change, but is it going to be able to figure it out and access the CDROM
while hooked up to the sound card IDE interface? Will it need to access
it because D-Drive has been added?
Thanks for your wisdom folks.... :-)

Glenn
(An old dog being taught new tricks!)