Subject: Re: scsi DLT tape drives
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/2004 12:30:54
On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:16:54AM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > What kind of interface is st0 ?
> > The drive are LVD. It the tape drive is single-ended (which is what I would
> > expect for a DLT1), the bus has switched to single-ended, but it's possible
> > that the drives didn't notice. Usually drives have a jumper to
> > force to single-ended, and I've got to use it in some conditions.
>
> The tape drive is a "PowerVault 110T DLT VS80" According to the Dell spec
> page:
>
> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/
>           pvaul_110tdlt1?c=uk&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=specstab
>
> (why bsd? ;) )
>
> Interface:
>    2940 Ultra-2/Wide SCSI
>    39160 Ultra-2/LVD SCSI SCSI
>
> The documentation only mentions the 4 scsi id jumpers, not what the other 3
> do:
>
>   http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/stor-sys/2g536/en/setup.htm
>
> if you can ever get past all the redirections and invalid cookies..
>
> and explains that the tape drive may be plugged into a LVD or SE scsi bus.
>
> The terminator is separate and on the end of the cable..

Should be OK, then ... but

> I now have it in another box, with no disks plugged in eg:
>
> st0 at scsibus1 target 6 lun 0: <BNCHMARK, DLT1, 5032> tape removable
> st0: drive empty
> st0: sync (100.00ns offset 15), 16-bit (20.000MB/s) transfers

If it's LVD, why does it negotiate such a low speed ? It's doing wide,
not even Ultra ...

Do you have another LVD controller around to try ? A esiop (895 or 1010)
would be a plus, as the driver will print a message if it detects a
single-ended bus :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>