Subject: Re: scsi DLT tape drives
To: der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/07/2004 09:51:58
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 12:09:53 -0400 (EDT), der Mouse
<mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca> wrote:
> Andy Ruhl adds
> > You REALLY don't want to be running a tape drive and a disk drive on
> > the same channel.  If your card has another channel, use it.  If not,
> > invest in another card.
>
> but gives no clue what reason, if any, is behind this.
>
> I can't see any reason for this unless the tape drive doesn't support
> disconnect/reconnect, which anything even vaguely modern should.  (The
> "DLT1" in the tape drive probe message implies it's a DLT drive, which
> qualifies as "modern" here.)  Andy, am I missing something?

That sounds a little bit like a challenge or something, but I'll deflect that.

It's generally not a good idea to use devices of widely varying speed
on the same bus, especially if those devices are expected to talk
directly to each other. As for the exact technical reason? I'll have
to pull out the manuals and look it up... But I'm sure I'm about to
get the answer from you anyway, either supporting or not supporting
this.

It will work, but performance might not be as good as it could be. And
scsi cards are cheap. Might as well buy another card.

Andy