Subject: Re: 2.0G breaks thinkpad
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/03/2004 08:26:38
In message <86lli1pjsk.fsf@athene.i.eunet.no>, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo writes:
>"Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@crufty.net> writes:
>
>> I just loaded my laptop from a tree updated and built today.
>> and wm0 no longer works -  device times out.
>
>Are you sure that's new?  I've long had trouble with wm0 on my
>Thinkpad X31, but have fixed it by having scripts (run by apmd and
>ifwatch) that explicitly ifconfig it down at suspend and when it loses
>carrier, and up at resume and when it regains carrier.

My daughter has new Thinkpad R51 that's had no such problems, under
2.0beta.  I did write an apmd/resume script to restart dhclient, under
the assumption that if you've moved you may need new addresses, but not
due to any carrier detect bugs.

I have a 2.0G install CD I burned that I can try on that machine in a
little while.