Subject: Re: Upgrading a RAID 1 system
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/2004 08:38:17
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, David Laight wrote:

>> 2) make MBR partition 0 start at 129024 with size 312452784, and make
>> it active. (If there's an MBR partition in one of the other slots for
>> wd0e, you can leave it, for now.)
>
> Actually if you make mbr ptn 0 end at 129024 (or before), make ptn 1
> cover 129024 to the end and be type 169, then make the kernel rewrite
> the disklabel then both mbr partitions will contain the netbsd label.
> (and both be bootable using the bootselect code).
>
> You can then delete mbr partition 0.
>
> This doesn't explain why it the current setup doesn't boot though.

I see now, from examining boot1.c, what you're saying. It should have
worked. Matthias, does the root partition start at the very beginning
of the RAID set? There's no recursion in the boot code -- it doesn't
look at the RAID set's disklabel at all. If it's not at the beginning,
then the plan I suggested won't work, either.

Frederick