Subject: Re: 3C509 problem
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Rui Paulo <goteki@pixeloverflow.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/19/2004 18:57:09
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:40:36 -0400 (EDT)
der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

[...]
> That may be a dangerous assumption.  I've seen bad cables with one > pair
> OK and one pair bad show link in one direction but not the other (and
> carry packets one way but not the other).  Presumably analogous
> failures in a connector or the electronics close to the connector can
> produce similar failure modes.
So do I, but this cable was taken from a working system and it works well when connected to the other PCI NIC. I also tried a working cable manufactured by Compaq (to ensure my home made cables weren't the problem).

> As for debugging it...most Ethernet cards have link lights of their
> own; does it show link?
My NIC unfortunatly doesn't have any LEDs to indicate link status :(

> You also might try connecting directly to another machine with a
> crossed cable and try tcpdump on the machines to
> see if anything is getting through.
I did. I only get the normal arp requests and after I issued the command `arp -s 192.168.1.10 <MAC ADDRESS>` I still don't get any responses from the NIC.

Thanks,
	Rui Paulo

-
Rui Paulo <goteki@pixeloverflow.com>
3F1E DB64 40B0 B027 1F3C  4A4A 1384 42C6 B05A DCB7

  "Simplicity is the ultimate
    sophistication."
    -- Leonardo da Vinci