Subject: Re: Seriell terminal in singleuser mode?
To: None <"ulih."@firemail.de>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/2004 09:23:38
In message <1154077836.20040405180637@firemail.de>, you write:

-> has anyone some experiences with a seriell connection in
-> singleuser mode and can tell me the right settings for the terminal?
-> A normal seriell connection with the 9600/8/N/1 settings is no
-> problem.. But that doesn't work in singleuser mode :(
->
-> To get access in single user mode i've pressed ESC when i see the
-> bootcountdown. Then i typed "consdev com0" resp. "consdev com0kbd"
-> (when i read the manpage, i don't see the difference) and enter.
-> Now on the terminal i type "boot" and it does without a problem..
-> But after that the 9600/8/N/1 settings seem not to be correct anymore..
->
-> E.g. i see the "Login:" and enter my username.. no problem, but when
-> i've entered the password am hit "enter" nothing happens :( i hit
-> "enter" twice and i see "Login incorrect"....

In case you haven't yet figured it out, odds are that this is due
to the incorrect parity setting in /etc/gettytab.  That setting is
determined by the getty entry you use (which in turn is dictated by
the getty invocation in /etc/ttys for the tty line you're logging
in on).

If your getty entry has 'np' (no parity) already, I'd try 'ap' (any
parity) instead.  If it has neither, try one of those two.  I'm not
sure what the cases are where you'd need 'ap' instead of 'np', but
I seem to recall tripping over this in the past (and I also thought
my connection should have been 8N1)

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill