Subject: Re: Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) MBR/IDE support possible?
To: Tobias Nygren <tnn@netilium.org>
From: Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/12/2004 17:33:08

    Tobias> I use that kind of thing with NetBSD on my old Thinkpad
    Tobias> with a 10 GB disk. I couldn't get the boot loader to work,
    Tobias> so used I Grub.

So, Grub understands this mbr partition and does it's interpretation?

    Tobias> Other than that all you need to do is to keep in mind that
    Tobias> the offsets in the disklabel and the partition table
    Tobias> differ by 63, so don't use mbrlabel(8)

Where is the bsd disklabel stored, then? Isn't it related to the mbr
stuff?

    Tobias> if you dual boot. I suggested an alternative solution
    Tobias> before; see
    Tobias> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-misc/2003/09/15/0000.html

I guess I don't understand this... What is

  "ata set max address command" on wd*

, an apmd command (never used it)? .. which implies an aleady running
netbsd system! ;-)

    Tobias> (I think Linux 2.6 has the ability to resize the drive on
    Tobias> boot, so you don't need the DDO loader at all, assuming
    Tobias> your boot loader and kernel are located on sectors below
    Tobias> the clipping offset.)

Hmm, but something has to detect the real disk capacity. -> Does the
linux kernel know about special disk commands to re-evaluate its real
geometry? (In my case the drive reports a fake size of 32gb to the
bios to let it go passed...)

Thanks, Markus.