Subject: extract eltorito
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/10/2004 14:44:54
Is there a way of extracting the eltorito boot image from a CD?

History: dead laptop. I tried making it boot diskless. It successfully
downloads pxeboot_ia32.bin, but then the count down stops on 5, and no
attempt at grabbing the kernel via tftp or nfs happens. (It has a via
rhine II (0x3065, rev 0x51) ethernet card - oddly vr isn't in GENERIC_LAPTOP)

The manufacturer provides a repair CD, but no CD (NetBSD or otherwise) will
boot - lost interrupt.

It will boot netbsd from an external floppy drive (phew) - so I wondered
if there was a way of reading the eltorito boot image from the
manufacturer's iso image, to try to boot from that (the entire iso image
is only 2056192 bytes long, so all the hopefully useful bits are in the
boot floppy image).

Cheers,

Patrick