Subject: Re: laptop suspend with ACPI? Any equivalent to zzz?
To: Perry E.Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/27/2004 20:57:16

perry@piermont.com <Perry E.Metzger> writes:
>> It isn't actually that bad. There are various different levels of ACPI
>> suspend, and the lightest sleeps are very much like APM sleeps -- we
>> could implement it very trivially, or, even better, we could just take
>> the code from FreeBSD that handles all this.

Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net> writes:
> Excellent!  When will you be done? ;-)

Hi Perry:

Any progress on implimenting ACPI sleep/suspend using the FreeBSD code?
I would be happy to beta-test any code you have for this.

The lightest low power suspend that turns off the disk activity, display,
and suspends most processes would be sufficent, since it would avoid having
to halt then reboot my laptop each and every time I put in its case and
move from one location to another.  Previously with an older laptop
using APM zzz. I would reboot it less than once a month, now with a new
laptop that only has ACPI, I have to reboot it many times each day, not to
mention having to re-login, re-startup XFree86, and re-launch all of my
programs I was using previously.

Alicia.