Subject: Re: Does CrossOver Office really work ?
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
From: Marcello Balduccini <marcello.balduccini@ttu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2004 14:05:16
Alicia,

> With NetBSD-1.6.0 and wine-20021007, I was able to run crossover office
> (sort of).  Basically I installed CrossOver office on a SuSE Linux
> desktop, and then copied my "fake_windows", "*.reg", "win.ini", and
> config to my NetBSD desktop, and it worked with the native NetBSD wine.
> I had Microsoft Office 2000 & Visio 2000 working on with a NetBSD wine
> binary and the CrossOver office files.

This solution seems quite interesting. It still doesn't work 100% for me,
though. Here is what I did. I installed CrossOver Office on RedHat 7.1
(that's the only version I have with me right now), and then I have
installed Office 2000 Pro on top of it. Everything works fine under my
RedHat installation. Next, I have copied all the files that you mentioned
to $HOME/.wine in my NetBSD box (.wine didn't exist yet, so I created it).
Next, I ran "wine WINWORD.EXE". The window of MSWord appeared, but, before
I could use it, wine started its debugger and closed the window. The error
shown is:

Unhandled exception: privileged instruction in 32-bit mode (0x30941d0c).
0x30941d0c
(MS09.DLL.?AccessGet@CFileFolder@@QBE?AW4ACCESS@CFS0bj@@PAVIInterrupt@@PAH@Z+0xd5c
 in MS09.DLL): outb   %al,$0x70

The same happens with Excel. I am using wine-20031016 compiled from pkgsrc.

Any ideas ?

Did you copy system.ini to your .wine directory ? Did you by any chance
run regedit on winedefault.reg ?

Thank you,
Marcello