Subject: Re: Hardware recommend. dual-headed card?
To: Konrad Neuwirth <konrad@mailathome.or.at>
From: Patrick Mackey <netbsd@deniedaccess.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/2004 11:19:48
Hi

|          what's currently a good card for multi-headed X11 work?

I messed around with this for some time. Here are a few points that I
mostly learnt the hard way:

Try to avoid Nvidia cards as the 'nv' driver has some serious isues with
dual-heads (at least with my GeForce 4).  The native XFree86 ATI drivers
are *much* better.

Also if you want to run at any decent resolution (on both screens), go for
an AGP card and get at least a 32Meg card.

If you go for multiple cards, it might be an idea to wait for XFree86 4.4.
It has *much* better initialization of slave cards.

Best Regards,
Patrick Mackey

    "You can't take the sky from me"
  "Firefly: http://www.fireflyfans.net"