Subject: Re: Endless trouble with ISA NICs
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Ernst du Toit <et@houseofet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2004 10:38:26
On some NICs the cycled blinking indicate 'unconfigured' in ISAPNP mode.

Once the card has been through the isapnp allocations process the LEDs
revert to their 'normal' function indicating link status and traffic.

I've seen some wierd behaviour with isapnp and some IBM 300GL desktops -
when the kernel boots the NIC gets detected, then isapnp kicks in and
reconfigures the NIC again, invariably moving it to a new I/O Address and
IRQ...

Building a kernel without isapnp solved the problem in these boxen.

YMMV...

--et