Subject: Endless trouble with ISA NICs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/03/2004 23:09:48
--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

Hello,

As I like the clean concepts and hype-less philosophy of NetBSD I
wanted to give it a try on may main working Box.

Everything worked quick smoth -- exept for the NIC.

Till now I tried no less than three different NICs (all working fine
under Linux 2.4.23) but none of them worked without any problems:

1. An NE2000 clone (no idea what Manufactor):  Unfortunatly its IRQ is
   set to 3 and none of the many Jumpers on it seems to change this.
   I'm using it nder Linux w/o any problems for years (I don't use
   com1 anyway) but under NetBSD the howl system hangs after an
   arbitrary time of using it.  (I excluded com1 in the kernel config,
   so nothing else should be using irq 3 but after some time it hangs
   anyway)

2. Intel EtherExpress Pro/10:  Setup to use fixed IRQ (10) and IO
   (0x360) (PnP disabled).  NetBSD recognises the card as iy0:

   iy0 at isa0 port 0x360-0x36f irq 10: address 00:a0:c9:12:75:d4, rev. 1, =
32 kB
   iy0: EEPROM irq setting 255 ignored

   but the second line looks suspicious, and indeed, the interface can
   be configured, but not used...

3. 3Com Etherlink III (3c509):  This card works perfect, so the story
   could end here, but: when it is installed my soundcard (PCI Trident
   4DWave) stops working (all is does ist some cracing noise).

Well, these are all old ISA Cards, and I asume an new PCI one would
solve my problem, but on the other Hand, I have these and I think it
should be possible to get at least one Setup to work under NetBSD.

At the moment I think the Intel card would be the best bet, as it
works well under Linux and the IRQ/IO can be chosen freely (using the
original Intel setup-tool under FreeDOS).  Any ideas how to fix this
strange wrong IRQ detection from the EEPROM?

Any other Ideas, suggestions?

cheers and a happy new year
sascha
--=20
Sascha Wilde
"Gimme about 10 seconds to think for a minute..."

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--