Subject: Re: GENERIC is absurdly big
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/2003 04:32:22
--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

Michal Pasternak wrote:
> Wojciech Puchar [Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 12:40:20AM +0100]:
> > i rather prefer source modules than unknown code.
=20
> You read all the sources you compile and use, line by line, right?

I'm not sure what exactly you're getting at. There's more than one
advantage in having the sources. It doesn't matter whether you
read every source and every line. Even in real life quality
control you don't check *everything* but random samples. More than
once, I've decided against using a particular software by spending less
than 10 minutes of looking at the sources. Not to mention that it allows
to modify, improve, fix or port the software.

Considering drivers, it's simply insane that vendors tell you to
either use the one-and-only-OS or utilize their hardware as paper
weight. I'm pretty sure people would pay a *fair* price for the
drivers or *at least* the documentation.
Unfortunately, most vendors seem to prefer giving their lawyers
a warm chuckle and wait until all backup tapes containing the
sources have been destroyed protecting licenses nobody does
care about any longer.

That's what I call absurd.
--=20
Christian