Subject: Re: GENERIC is absurdly big
To: Samuel Boivie <z@kdu.se>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/2003 13:18:10
--Apple-Mail-64--1014190227

On Dec 18, 2003, at 10:01 AM, Samuel Boivie wrote:

> I don't know if it's possible to live totally without ISA (assuming usb
> keyboard and so on). I'd like to see such a "generic modern" kernel.
> ISA
> feels really old. What exactly is ISA on a modern motherboard anyway?

If you have a PS/2 port, serial ports, or a parallel port, then you
have "ISA" (it's really built-in to the southbridge, but ISA is the
programming interface provided).

Also, other things on laptop mainboards that are connected to the "LPC"
(low pin count) bus (which is really just ISA by another name) have the
ISA programming interface.

--Apple-Mail-64--1014190227
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit