Subject: Re: More 1.6.1 strangeness
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/19/2003 15:21:37
>> Actually, I'm now of the opinion that all the disklabel and
>> partitioning trouble can be ascribed to my forgetting to specify any
>> mount points (which really makes this a recommendation that sysinst
>> do at least minimal checking of mount points - in my case, it would
>> have been enough to have checked that there is at least one
>> partition with mount point /, and I would argue it should check for
>> exactly one such.)
> sysinst in 'current' tries lot harder, it will use the 'last mounted
> on' field from the superblock as a default for the mount point.

That would not have helped in my case, since the disk was entirely
clean to begin with - there was no superblock until sysinst ran newfs
(or, in my case, not at all, since sysinst didn't run newfs).

> I think it checks for '/' as well.

That would definitely help.

> Update (and install extra packages) still assume that root is
> partition 'a' though.

That strikes me as moderately broken.  Oh well, sysinst doesn't really
seem like the right tool for those tasks in most cases anyway.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign