Subject: Re: More 1.6.1 strangeness
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/2003 14:04:47
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 02:29:14AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> I've since done some further experimentation and I find that the
> problem is actually *caused by* the kernel prompting for root and dump
> areas - or at least that's how it behaves.

Hmmm, this sounds familiar - I've seen the same problem with my CATS
machine, which is running -current. When it happens, I can remotely login
over the network, though (luckily).

> If I take the "one large root fs" install and "boot -s", it comes up
> and the keyboard works.  But if I take the very same install and do
> "boot -as" and let all the values default (just pressing RETURN at each
> of the prompts), the keyboard is dead once init starts.

I can't remember if the same applies for me, but definately one of those
(possibly both) causes the same problem. If I remember, I'll try again
tonight to see if what I see matches what you're seeing.

I've never seen this with any other of my machines that runs NetBSD,
though (i386, macppc, sparc). Perhaps it's a pckbc(4) problem?

Ian.