Subject: Re: per-cpu TSS
To: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@NetBSD.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/16/2003 00:56:21
On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 02:11:32AM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> One of problems in the current GDT management is that the GDT only
> grows and never shrinks. There was gdt_compact() (and others) some
> time ago, but unfornately, it caused a kernel crash (PR#9368). Worse
> is, nobody could fix it for years. So somebody commented it out, fvdl
> removed $if 0'ed gdt_compact(), and I removed #if 0'ed gdt_shrink().
>
> By adopting yamt's per-CPU TSS, you don't have to care about memory
> leakage caused by massive process creation and termination any longer.

That's not a very strong argument.. if you can run enough processes
for the GDT to grow beyond it's initial size (i.e. thousands), losing
a few pages of memory will not be an issue.

I am, however, not convinced that the Mach approach is viable for
NetBSD. But, I suppose it needs some more consideration.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                            fvdl@netbsd.org
NetBSD. Free, Unix-like OS. > 45 different platforms.    http://www.netbsd.org/