Subject: LEXAR 128M JumpDrive Secure -- bootable?
To: NetBSD i386 port <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/19/2003 11:14:18
Greetings,

I have a machine capable of booting from a USB HD, or so says the BIOS.

I acquired a LEXAR 128M JumpDrive Secure, and outside of the problem
I'm currently having on getting it to attach when it's plugged in
(it attaches when it's already there on boot), I'm wondering if there's
a way I can boot off the thing.

I've dd(1)d off its original image so that I can put it back whif
necessary, and I did the following:

	newfs sd6e	# it's the first physical partition given outside
			# 'c' and 'd'
	mount /dev/sd6e /mnt
	cp /usr/mdec/biosboot /mnt
	installboot /dev/rsd6e /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1

It didn't complain, so I had assumed it did the right thing.

However, it didn't find the thing as bootable.

Is there some magic which will make this nice little 128M plugin drive
a bootable drive?

In any case, what devices do I need to have set up so that it will be
recognised on plugin rather than me needing to reboot the box to find
the drive?  What information would help you in this regard?

[config file is at http://www.starwolf.com/machines/config.rivendell]

What am I missing?

				--*greywolf;
--