Subject: Re: Sendmail/SASL/Crypt issue
To: James Webster <james3838@tsi-net.com>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/2003 14:48:58
--On 10/08/03 10:28:45 -0700 James Webster wrote:

> While this is not directly NetBSD related, I'm hoping someone on this
> list has done it before and can help me out.
> I'm trying to configure a Sendmail server that sends mail outbound using
> TLS/Login authentication.  I've been able to setup and test SSL without
> issue, but I'm having problems getting Plain/Login working.  I've
> downloaded the source for cyrus-sasl-1.58.28 and appear to have
> successfully compiled and installed it.  But when I tried to compile
> Sendmail I was getting a build failure:  /usr/lib/libsasl.so: undefined
> reference to `crypt'
>
> I suspected it had something to do with cyrus complaining about not
> finding crypt.h, though it went on to compile successfully.  Doing a
> search on the NetBSD site crypt.h only turned up this thread:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2003/07/21/0011.html  The only
> thing I found that might indicate the problem with the crypt function is
> : http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-pmax/1996/12/10/0000.html, so I added
> "APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_LIBS',`-lsasl -lcrypt') to my site.config.m4
> file.
> That appears to have fixed my compile issues, but when I start up
> sendmail and connect, its only advertising CRAM-MD5.  I have the
> TrustAuthMech and AuthMechanisms set to LOGIN PLAIN, and for testing
> purposes have made sure that AuthOptions does not include the p flag.

I'm doing something similar; I use SASL LOGIN/PLAIN (over TLS) to
authenticate employees with laptops who want to relay mail.

I used mail/sendmail, security/cyrus-sasl, and security/cy-login from
pkgsrc.  It's all working well for me.

I'm not sure what advice to give, except to suggest that the problem is
within SASL.  Sendmail will advertise the intersection of the SASL methods
listed in AuthMechanisms and the methods that the SASL library thinks it
can do.

Make sure you've set up /usr/lib/sasl/Sendmail.conf.

	-Kevin

    [ Part 2, Application/PGP-SIGNATURE  313bytes. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]