Subject: Re: help with video dri/drm problems
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/2003 12:46:41
Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> by hand. It had to be force loaded, with "-f", because there seems to
> be something wrong with the LKM versioning scheme: it complained that
> module is <some random word>, kernel is <some other random words>,

This means the LKM was compiled with different options than
kernel, and so the LKM is not compatible with running kernel.
Specifically, if the LKM isn't compiled with MULTIPROCESSOR,
it will crash kernel compiled with MULTIPROCESSOR.

You NEED to compile LKMs with exactly same options as kernel, such
as:

cd src/sys/lkm
make clean
DBG="-O2 -DMULTIPROCESSOR" make dependall
make install

FYI:
Do NOT use forced LKM load. It WILL make the kernel crash once the
LKM would do anything. I thought the message emitted by modload
with -f is discouraging enough. I guess I'd need to improve it
further :)

Jaromir