Subject: Re: RAID controller support, and/or RAIDFrame
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/2003 11:17:57
Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org> writes:

> 	* 3Ware 6x00 parallel ATA
> 	* 3Ware 750x parallel ATA (current card)

I have used both of the above in my boxes.

> 	* 3Ware 850x serial ATA  (current card - fast too!)

And that one, too.  Damned fast!

> 	* Adaptec 2400A parallel ATA

And that one.

> 	* Adaptec 2100S/3200S/34x0S SCSI

And two of those.

> 	* LSI (formerly AMI) MegaRAID

And one of those.  :)

> 	* Adaptec 2410A serial ATA (haven't seen this)

I suspect it will "just work" once the PCI IDs are entered.  It may
just work without.

> I personally find good hardware RAID cards easier to setup and use
> compared to software RAID solutions.  Their performance is often
> better as well.  YMMV.

I have several external-only drive arrays -- my main two machines are
spiffy 1U or 2U machines with a CDROM and external RAID enclosures,
using SCSI disks.

I also have two IDE hardware raid boxes I've set up -- you know them
by the popular names of "anoncvs.netbsd.org" and "ftp.netbsd.org"  :)
I'm running the 3ware serial ATA at home, and it works great.  The
adaptec parallel ATA is slower than the 3ware ones, and costs a lot
more.

--Michael