Subject: Re: Using the delete key to "right-delete" chars
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2003 22:25:27
On Thu 02 Oct 2003 at 08:21:58 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I suppose what is needed is an xterm prefernce that says to map the X
> keycode for BS into DEL (not Delete), and then not to do all the
> erase=^H kludges.  Trying to remap the keyboard is problematic because
> most of the GUI apps want to see BS to delete backwards.

Look at xterms resources called backarrowKeyIsErase, backarrowKey and
ptyInitialErase.

       backarrowKey (class BackarrowKey)
               Specifies whether the backarrow  key  transmits  a
               backspace  or  delete character.  This corresponds
               to  the  DECBKM  control  sequence.   The  default
               (backspace) is ``true.''  Pressing the control key
               toggles this behavior.

       ptyInitialErase (class PtyInitialErase)
               If  ``true'', xterm will use the pseudo-terminal's
               sense of the  stty  erase  value.   If  ``false'',
               xterm  will  set the stty erase value to match its
               own configuration, using the kD  string  from  the
               termcap  entry  as  a reference, if available.  In
               either case, the result is applied to the  TERMCAP
               variable   which   xterm  sets.   The  default  is
               ``false''.

       backarrowKeyIsErase (class BackarrowKeyIsErase)
               Tie  the  VTxxx  backarrowKey  and ptyInitialErase
               resources together by  setting  the  DECBKM  state
               according  to  whether  the  initial value of stty
               erase is a backspace  or  delete  character.   The
               default is ``false'', which disables this feature.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendam esse.