Subject: Re: your mail
To: Quentin Garnier <netbsd-port-i386@quatriemek.com>
From: Brian Stark <bpstark@pacbell.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/24/2003 23:20:34
Quentin Garnier wrote:

>> vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: Nvidia Corporation GeForce4 MX 420 (rev.
>> 0xa3)

> But you don't have things like Xvideo support.

Hi Quentin,

Huh? I not an expert on the X Window System, but a quick check of the
output from xdpyinfo shows the following:

number of extensions:    27

    BIG-REQUESTS
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPMS
    Extended-Visual-Information
    FontCache
    GLX
    LBX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    RANDR
    RENDER
    SECURITY
    SGI-GLX
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    TOG-CUP
    X-Resource
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XFree86-Bigfont
    XFree86-Misc
    XFree86-VidModeExtension
    XInputExtension
    XKEYBOARD
    XTEST
    XVideo

Both XVideo and GLX are present. I can do things like watch DVDs and
use the GL-based screen savers in XScreensaver.  I'm aware that the
card I have is not Nvidia's top-of-the-line model, but for my rather
(simple?) needs, it works just fine. :-) I imagine that if I was into
computer games or did a lot of work with graphics, I could find a card
that is better suited, but I'm happy with what I have. I think the
point of this is that people should keep in mind that there are
different video cards suited for different purposes.  I can't comment
on the the ATI cards because I haven't used any with NetBSD/XFree86. But
based on my experience with my Nvidia card, I wouldn't automatically
ignore other cards from that manufacturer.

Take care,

Brian