Subject: Re: formatting IDE disk?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/23/2003 00:53:20
On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 06:09:05PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> I have a laptop disk which seems to have developed a bad spot.  Can
> anyone tell me how to reformat the drive?  Or is that not done on IDE
> drives, and all I can do is partition around the bad spot?

As already pointed out, you have to write to a bad block to remap it.
There's no standart way of reformatting a drive, but some vendors have
tools available from their web server to do drives diagnostics, and
eventually do a low-level format.

> The drive is
>
> wd1 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0: <TOSHIBA MK6409MAV>

Hum, you'll have to find the real manufacturer name if you want to use
vendor-specific tools.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>