Subject: Re: formatting IDE disk?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/22/2003 18:58:02
>> wd1 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0: <TOSHIBA MK6409MAV>
> Hum, you'll have to find the real manufacturer name if you want to
> use vendor-specific tools.

As far as I can tell, that actually is Toshiba.  I can't find anyone
else's name on the drive.

However, I was able to get most of the data off (dd bs=512
conv=noerror,sync) and the damage appears to have been minimal.  Four
device inodes in /dev were destroyed, and they're all easy to recreate
(tty, stdin, stdout, stderr); the copy showed another read error, but
it falls in swap.  I'll try dding the (repaired) image back onto the
disk and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for all the help!

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign