Subject: Wireless problems (Linksys WMP11)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Stark <bpstark@pacbell.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/07/2003 00:42:31
Hello,

Lest someone else make the same mistake that I did today, I thought I'd
pass on my experience with the Linksys WMP11 PCI 802.11b card.

I thought I would experiment with a wireless network and picked up a
Linksys WMP11 PCI card today. I selected this card because it was listed
on the man page wi(4) as being supported:

"Linksys Group, Inc. Instant Wireless Network WMP11 PCI Card"

I built a new kernel, with the wi interface in it, installed it, and
rebooted. What I saw was this:

"unknown vendor 0x17fe product 0x2120 (ethernet network) at pci0 dev 16
function 0 not configured"

Sigh... so I said a few things I won't repeat here, and then yanked the
card and inspected it. My card has the FCC-ID "Q87-WMP11V4". I'm guessing
that the "V4" refers to version 4 of the card.

I was surprised to see "unknown vendor" show up because I have a Linksys
LNE100TX card in a few of my systems and they are identified correctly. I
did some searching on the 'net and eventually I stumbled across:

  http://www.pcisig.com/membership/vid_search/

which told me that the vendor for this PCI card is a company called
"InProComm, Inc." The have a web site at http://www.inprocomm.com

From past my experience with the Linksys LNE100TX card, Linksys seems to
be in the habit of doing major redesigns of their cards with each new
revision. If anyone is contemplating purchasing the WMP11 card for use
with NetBSD, becareful since version 4 of the card won't work (I'm
running -current). If you find a WMP11 card in a store, you can look at
the code below the UPC symbol. My box says "WMP11 v4-PKG-30625c".

If anyone can recommend wireless cards that work for them with NetBSD, and
are readily available in the US, please let me know. I am in the market
for one PCI wireless card, and one PCMCIA Type II card (not Cardbus!). I
prefer 802.11g, but can use 802.11b.

TIA,

Brian Stark
bpstark@pacbell.net