Subject: Slow Xeon Performance
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/27/2003 23:04:03
I have recently built a single Xeon 2.4 GHz system based on a Supermicro
X5SS8 motherboard along with an Adaptec 2010S Zero Channel Raid card. I
am using two Seagate 36 GB, 10,000 RPM, Ultra320 SCSI hard drives in a
RAID 1 setup. I have 1GB of ECC DDR RAM installed.

I have noticed that the system seems very slow in general. It is as
responsive as any system when just doing interactive work but it seems
to be extremely slow during compiling. I thought that maybe NetBSD 1.6.1
did not have very good support for the Xeon so I decided to use NetBSD
1.6U from 07/05/2003. (I will be compiling a new snapshot shortly to
try.) There does not seem to be hardly any difference in performance
between 1.6.1 and 1.6U. Both seem very slow.

The system I am primarily comparing the Xeon to is a Pentium 4 1.5 GHz
system on Supermicro motherboard. It is using IDE drives. The P4 system
seems to be much, much faster especially during the configurate phase of
compiling.

Has anyone else observed similar issues on a Xeon system? I am really
not sure what to think. It seems very strange.

Bryan