Subject: Re: Exec Format error. Wrong Architecture / After doing a nativ i386 build
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/22/2003 17:13:51
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Oliver Egginger wrote:
> I'am completly new to NetBSD.

OK.  Are you sure you want to run bleeding edge NetBSD-current ?

> When I try to execute /pub/release/i386/bin/ls (for example) the shell
> say's:
>
> ls: Exec Format error. Wrong Architecture
>
> This happens with all executables

You are running a NetBSD-1.6.1 kernel, but you have asked build.sh
to build new userland programs that are intended to run under a
NetBSD-current kernel.  You can't run new userland executables with an
old kernel (except when old and new are sufficiently close together).

If you really want to run NetBSD-current, then you need to boot with a
new kernel before you try running new userland executables.  You can
build a new kernel with a command like

	build.sh -m i386 -D /pub/release/i386 kernel=GENERIC

Alternatively, stay away from NetBSD-current until you have more
experience.  So, instead of trying to upgrade to -current, upgrade to
1.6.latest.  Try the following:

  1. convert your source tree to the netbsd-1.6 branch.

	cd /usr/src
	cvs update -A -rnetbsd-1-6 -dP

  2. build a new userland using a command like

	build.sh -m i386 -D /pub/release/i386

  3. the new userland should be compatible with a 1.6.1 kernel.

(Note that the build.sh options in the 1.6 branch and in -current
are very different.)

--apb (Alan Barrett)