Subject: Re: Bad local memory, or bad compiler in July 2003 1.6U snapshot?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/14/2003 10:58:12
Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Stone wrote:

> I recently installed  .tgz files for the 1.6U snapshot from ftp.netbsd.org.
> After the update I've seen two instances of what looks like a compiler bug.
>
> First problme is that my local build of racoon coredumps.  Diagnosing
> with gdb, next inspecting cc -S showed that two file-scope read/write
> variables (which just happened to come after a lex/yacc-generated
> readonly table) were, in fact, being outputted into the .rodata
> section of the assembly file.

This was an ELF section issue; the __RCSID macro in <sys/cdefs_elf.h>
was leaving the assembler in the wrong section (always text instead of
returning to the previous I think) and has been fixed recently.

> I've also had strange errors when testing snapshots of my fast-ipsec
> port.  (e.g., newly-built kernels fail to configure a cardbus tlp
> device).  Older kernels work fine.

No idea on this one...

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/