Subject: Re: Trouble with wscons/XFree
To: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@krylon.netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/07/2003 15:17:05
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2003/08/07/0002.html

There are two points about wsmouse:

First, it does NOT USE the PS/2 protocol.  Some older(?) versions of
XFree86 4.x would autoconfigure to use /dev/wsmouse but then would
put in completely bogus protocol choices like PS/2.  Is that what happened
here?

The protocol should be "wsmouse", since that's what the kernel translates
to when it produces data on the wsmouse devices.

Since you have "PS/2" for the protocol, I assume that you have a PS/2 mouse,
so the above probably takes care of your problem.  (You can check by doing
a "hexdump /dev/wsmouse" from the console and move the mouse around; if
you see data spewing, then you just need to tell XFree8t the correct
("wsmouse") protocol.)

But, another remote problem could be if you have a serial mouse.  Last
I heard, NetBSD doesn't do anything so silly as to probe the serial ports
to guess what is attached, so you need to explicitly tell it to run a
daemon to read /dev/tty?? and generate wsmouse events.

That, at least, is what my dodgy memory is telling me.  I can't remember
the name of the program to run to get serial mouse events injected to
wsmouse.  You only need this if your mouse plugs into a tty port.
(I've always used PS/2 and USB mice, so I never had to deal with this
serial mouse problem.  (^&)