Subject: Bootable root on raidframe
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/04/2003 21:13:23
Hello list,

I'm going to build a new home server with RAID-1 for everything (root,
/home and swap). I've read raidctl(8) and David's howto at

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2002/07/17/0006.html

but one thing is a little bit unclear to me.

>   the start of the disk (a cylinder is a good unit), wd1c should
>   be identical to wd1d. You can raid the entire disk, or just part,

Is this

1) increase wd1c to the same values as wd1d

or

2) decrease wd1d to the same values as wd1c

Why is this needed? If the first is correct I assume this means I have to
redo fdisk to start from 0 (instead of 63). But what if I have other
operating systems (e.g. WinXP) on the same disk?

I'd really like to see some real-life fdisk and disklabel values...

PS. I think we should have something about raidframe in the NetBSD Guide.

Martti

---
Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>      NetBSD - No media hype
http://www.iki.fi/kuparine/                     http://www.NetBSD.org/