Subject: Re: netscape7 crashes all the time
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/30/2003 23:10:03
On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 03:38:25PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> That looks very much like the same kind of error I've seen for literally
> years now with all versions of Netscape, mozilla, and other Gecko based
> browsers when I'm using my NCD X terminals.
>
> The problem I see is triggered by viewing any images directly,
> i.e. those not embedded in an HTML document, including with the
> right-click menu "view image" selection.  The "memory use" graph on the
> terminal shows it slowly running out of memory until I kill and re-start
> the browser.  You may be able to see the same growth in the virtual size
> of your Xserver process on any full-OS workstation.

I first thought it was the browser running out of memory and upped the
limits for the process.  Now I realize that it's XFree hitting the
limits (I have modified the way kdm is started to give X three times the
memory (384 MB) it had before.  I'll reboot (to boot a new kernel) and
see how it works.

> So, if what you're seeing is the same then the problem has something to
> do with the way the browser does something that makes the Xserver
> allocate memory and not let it go until the browser disconnects from the
> Xserver.

Maybe it's worse than that - restarting Netscape didn't make things work
(it helped before, I think).. is it possible that some of the memory is
not deallocated until the X server dies?

> Can you tell if the linux Netscape-7 binary you're apparently running is
> using gdk-pixbuf, and if so which version?

 10796 netscape-bin NAMI  "/emul/linux/usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0"
 10796 netscape-bin NAMI  "/emul/linux"
 10796 netscape-bin NAMI  "/emul/linux/usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0"
 10796 netscape-bin RET   open 3

The linux binaries do not use any of the NetBSD libraries, do they?

  -jm